About Celaya

Celaya is a city located in the State of Guanajuato and has gained importance in the last years for its great economic development, which has made it significant for many businessmen looking to expand their production capacity within Mexico.

The origins of the City of Celaya go back to the 12th of October in 1570 when the Viceroy of New Spain D. Martin Enriquez de Almanza mandated its foundation. Thus, on January 1st, 1571 the Spanish trustees gathered under a mesquite tree and founded this city on the place of a former Otomi village called “Nat-Tha-Hi”, which means “at the mesquite”. The name assigned to the recently founded villa was “Villa de la Purísima Concepción de Zalaya”, Basque name meaning “Flat Land”. Years after the villa’s development, on the 20th of October 1655, Viceroy Francisco Fernandez de la Cueva, Duke of Albuquerque granted it the title of “city with a right to a coat of arms”.

The same as other cities in Guanajuato, Celaya had a very important role in Mexico’s War of Independence. According to history, the independence “shout” originated in the City of Dolores (today Dolores Hidalgo) when Priest Miguel Hidalgo started the revolution. Next, the revolutionary followers advanced to San Miguel, where famous Ignacio Allende joined Hidalgo’s army. After this event, on September 21st 1810, Hidalgo’s group made its triumphal entrance to the City of Celaya, where the first formal organization of Mexico’s Insurgent Army took place, granting on this day various ranks as the one given to Hidalgo of General Captain and to Ignacio Allende of General Lieutenant. This event gave Celaya the mention of “Crib of the Mexican Army”. It is worth mentioning that Independence followers from Celaya joined, considerably increasing the number of Hidalgo’s supporters. This event is celebrated by the “Monument to the Nation and to the Liberating Army” found beside the temple of San Antonio in Celaya City.

Celaya didn’t only perform a determinant role in the war for Mexico’s independence, but also during the whole beginning of the Republican era. Among many events it is worth highlighting the naming of Cealaya as the supplies venue for the republican army, during the siege of Queretaro imposed by General Mariano Escobedo against Emperor Maximiliano of Hapsburg, event that took place in June 1867 during the time known as the French Intervention. Also on Celaya land, in April 1915, one of the most important battles of the Mexican Revolution was fought, between the forces of General Obregon and those of the Centauro del Norte, General Villa, resulting in the triumph of the Constitutionalist Group.

Currently, Celaya covers a little more than 553 squared kilometers and limits to the north with Comonfort municipality, to the south with Tarimoro, to the east with Apaseo el Grande and Apaseo el Alto, to the west with Cortazar and Villagran and to the northeast with Santa Cruz de Juventino Rosas. This city’s great development has made it the third municipality with greatest population in the State of Guanajuato (despite its small territorial extension) covering close to 10% of the State’s total population with its 416 residents (II Conteo de Población y Vivienda 2005). In addition to this great progress, the municipality of Celaya can offer public services to most of its population (light, water, sewage) reaching coverage indexes over 90%.

As should be expected, this municipality’s growth has been based on its strong economic activities, and it is worth mentioning that agriculture is the base of the municipal economy with corn, sorghum, alfalfa, oat, bean, garlic, onion, peanut, tomato and gardens as its main crops with a strong exports tendency. On the other hand, its industry is very important for its cajeta and milk derivates establishments, cold cuts and legume packing plants, factories of purification and bottling of water and milk pasteurizers, deodorant, air fresheners, insecticide, animal food, furniture and house appliances; and the construction of agricultural machinery and equipment, among many others. The companies are mainly located on the Celaya-Salamanca, Celaya-Queretaro and Celaya-San Miguel de Allende highways, this being the most important location for the industrial city.

Finally, we must highlight that currently the Economically Active Population of Celaya equals 36% of its total population, from which 99% is employed, which means unemployment is almost inexistent. This population is mainly employed in the tertiary sector (commerce and services), which concentrates 70% of employments, followed by the industrial sector with 27%.

Articles Releated with Celaya

La Alhóndiga de Granaditas en Guanajuato

This historic building located in the city of Read more

Ruta de Viaje por México, de Morelia a Puerto Vallarta

Morelia, capital of the State of Michoacan, is a beautifu...

La Nacionalización de la Banca en México

During his last state of the union address, José L...

Las 13 Maravillas de México hechas por en Hombre

Without rivaling nature, human beings’ intelligence, crea...

El Apagón Análogo

The cessation of analog TV broadcasts is a reality in Mex...

José Luis Cuevas, Figura del Arte Mexicano

José Luis Cuevas was born on February 26, 1934 in ...

Most Viewed

Poverty in Mexico, and its Figures

With most of its inhabitants having unmet needs, it is no...

Carlos Salinas de Gortari

Carlos Salinas de Gortari obtained his bachelor’s degree ...

Mariachi, Mexican Culture

The dictionaries of Academia Mexicana de la Lengua and th...

Pre-Columbian Civilizations in Mexico

Pre-Columbian era is a term used referring to the situati...